Frequently Asked Questions – How to Ship Firearms
Please know that at Rock Island Auction Company we strive to keep your shipping charges down. We charge you only what the carrier charges us for the shipping. We charge you only what the carrier charges us for the shipping. We know how to ship firearms.
Our primary shipper is UPS (United Parcel Service) unless you the client requests otherwise. Important note: UPS and FedEx have rules for shipping firearms manufactured post-1898; UPS requires that they ship 2nd day, FedEx requires that they ship next day.
Cost for insurance again is dependent on the carrier and is necessary to protect your firearm collectable(s). We will not ship a purchase without insurance. If you prefer to use your own insurance we simply ask that you sign a form stating so.
We do not charge for labor for the packing of your purchases.
At Rock Island Auction Company, we know how important the items you collect are to you. To ensure you receive your items in a timely fashion, we run two shifts (16 hours), a day in our shipping department during peak shipping times. All Federal Firearms laws must be complied with. Firearms manufactured after 1898 must be shipped to a premise with the proper license.
Our shipping process is stringent and methodical:
- A pull ticket is generated by your name and bidder number.
- Next the items on the ticket are gathered.
- Then each item is verified against the catalog by serial #, lot #, headline, etc. This is done before packing to ensure you receive the correct item(s) and that all accessories and documents are accounted for.
- The small parts are packed separately in clearly marked sealed bags to ensure they are not lost among packing materials. Stickers are placed on these bags marked “SMALL PARTS ENCLOSED”.
- All bolts are removed from rifles and wrapped separately to help reduce the risk of damage to the stock during shipping.
- All items are individually hand wrapped in bubble wrap to ensure they are protected during shipping and that they will arrive to you safely.
- After the items are boxed a verification ticket is completed indicating what is included in each box and who packed your items.
- Lastly a final verification of the shipping address is confirmed against the shipping label and shipping instructions for proper delivery.
If you have any questions about your shipment, please contact us at 1-800-238-8022.
We take great care and pride in the proper packaging and shipping of firearms sold through our auctions.
Video from a customer regarding RIAC shipping!