SHIPPING FIREARMS CONSIGNMENTS
- First and foremost, please include your name, address, contact phone number and purpose of the shipment. WE CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.
- Securely pack your item inside the box. Be sure there is enough packing material (shredded paper, bubble wrap or Styrofoam peanuts) so it cannot move around. Remember that the box may encounter very rough treatment during shipping. The more protection between the item and the box the better.
- Keep in mind that often boxes are stacked during shipping and they must be able to withstand the weight of being stacked.
- When packing multiple items in a box or crate, you may wish to reinforce areas with cardboard that could rub against another item and potentially scratch or ding it.
- If you shake your fully packed box, you can be assured you have done a good packing job if it does not make a rattling noise as though loose within the package. A tightly packed shipment is a safer shipment.
- When shipping firearms that are cased, please pack the firearm separately from the case.
- We recommend removing scopes, bolts and slings, however please indicate which firearm they belong to so that we may easily match them back up to the proper firearm.
- Please include a packing list of what you have sent in each box or crate so that we can account for it and know that we have received your consignment in its entirety.
- We recommend you ship packages via a traceable method and insured (i.e. U.S. Registered Mail, Federal Express, UPS). If applicable please include a copy of the Federal Firearms License.
- Please keep in mind that couriers do not always know their own regulations. We have a Federal Firearms License, therefore it is legal by BATF rules to ship guns to us.
Shipping via crates:
- If you have multiple items, it may be best for RIAC to send you empty crates that you fill and send back to us. We will include long gun and/or pistol sleeves inside the crates for you to help protect your firearms. We will also include bubble wrap, Styrofoam peanuts, and other packing material. Since each crate must weigh 150 lbs. or less, therefore we must calculate the weight of each crate. Once we have an itemized list of items you wish to ship, we can determine the correct number of crates to send you.
- Be sure to insure your shipment.
- Reminder: your consignment will be covered by Rock Island Auction Company’s insurance once it reaches our facility if you have a current signed consignment agreement; it is not insured without a signed contract.
- When your consignment reaches RIAC you will receive a phone call from our Incoming Department that it has been received. If you are unavailable, we will leave a message or send an email.