Top Instagram Posts of 2017
By Joel Kolander
There sure are a healthy amount of firearms enthusiasts on Instagram! Ever since we joined in 2016, our numbers have been climbing onward and upward faster than any other social media platform we currently use. What do they like the most? Big guns, tanks, and unusual pieces from history as we reveal here. These are the most liked posts from 2017.
Sold for $4,888 in February. Can you spot what is unusual about this Winchester?
29. Factory Panel Scene Engraved Merwin, Hulbert & Co. Small Frame Double Action Revolver with Pearl Grips
Available in our 2018 February Regional Auction
As you’ll soon notice this list has no less than three Merwin & Hulbert revolvers in the early rankings. Not bad for a manufacturer that few outside the collector realm have heard of. However, their popularity here is rightly earned. These finely machined revolvers should be on everyone’s wish list.
28. Extraordinary Valley Engraving Fully Functional Replica Colt Model 1878 Gatling Battery Gun with Tripod, Three Drum Magazines, and Crates
Sold for $43,125 in December. It was a good day for social media with our milestones on Facebook and YouTube, and it turned out it was a good day on Instagram as well.
27. Excellent Class III/NFA Fully Automatic Model 1917A1 Medium Machine Gun Manufactured the DLO Company
Sold in December for $21,850
26. Rare and Exceptional Factory Engraved Winchester Deluxe Model 1895 Takedown Lever Action Rifle
Sold in December for $37,375
The singular, elongated panel scene on this high condition Winchester 1895 was enough to attract numerous viewers.
25. Exceptional Two Digit Serialized Merwin, Hulbert & Co. Large Frame Single Action Revolver with Extraordinary Pearl Grips
Sold for $19,550 in December
24. Exceptional Factory Engraved Merwin, Hulbert & Co. Third Model Pocket Army Double Action Revolver with Pearl Grips
Sold for $9,775 in our December Premiere Firearms Auction.
The bird’s head grip, short barrel, and excellent quality make this 3rd model Merwin & Hulbert an attractive collectible, an enviable barbecue gun, and a perfectly viable self defense arm. It can do it all! http://ow.ly/Upw430gTjYh #auction #EDC #guns #firearms #2A #revolver #engraved #pewpew #gunporn #collecting
23. Wait for it… (click to play)
Sold for $1,955 in our December Premiere Firearms Auction
22. Scarce and Desirable Fabrique Nationale G Series FAL Semi-Automatic Rifle
Sold for $14,950 in our December Premiere Firearms Auction.
21. Exceptionally Rare World War I Experimental Cameron-Yaggi M1903 Springfield Trench Rifle with Periscope Sighting Device
Sold for $34,500 in our December Premiere Firearms Auction
20. Ruger Model AC-556F Assault Carbine, Class III/NFA Registered Fully Transferrable Machine Gun
Sold for $10,925 during the December Premiere Firearms Auction.
19. Very Early Pattern U.S. Springfield Model 1903 30-03 Bolt Action Rifle with Ramrod Bayonet
Available in our 2018 February Regional Firearms Auction.
18. H.W. Mortimer Flintlock Coach Carbine with Snap Bayonet and Inscribed Muzzle
Sold for $6,325 in our December Premiere Firearms Auction
17. Extraordinary Documented Exhibition Quality Lynton McKenzie Master Engraved and Gold Inlaid Cased Garniture
Sold for $74,750 in our December Premiere Firearms Auction.
16. People love M1 Garands and memes, so when you put them together…
15. Scarce World War II Class III/NFA Destructive Device C&R British PIAT Anti-Tank Grenade Launcher
Sold for $3,163 in our December Premiere Firearms Auction
14. DWM Model 1902 American Eagle Fat Barreled Luger in 9mm Luger
To be offered in our 2018 February Regional Firearms Auction
13. Documented U.S. Springfield Model 1903 “Air Service” Style Bolt Action Rifle as Featured in Multiple Bruce Canfield Publications
Sold for $3,738 in our December 2017 Premiere Firearms Auction
This beautiful Springfield M1903 “Air Service” rifle is a rare variant of a classic. This one hails from the Bruce Canfield Collection and will be available at auction this weekend. https://youtu.be/lr87fGtupMI #auction #M1903 #3006 #rare #guns #firearms #2A #pewpew #rifle #boltaction #wwi #BF1 #ww1 #GreatWar
12. Some art from our friends at C&Rsenal.
This particular poster lists and details the “Service Revolvers of the Great War.”
11. Class III/NFA C&R Full Automatic Colt, Model 1921/1928 US Navy Over Stamp Thompson Submachine Gun with a 50 Round Drum Magazine, Stick Magazines and Case
Sold for $74,750 in our December Premiere Auction
10. Tanks a lot!
Visitors to our December Premiere were in for a surprise when they found these beauties parked outside our facility! This grouping of photos shows some of the military vehicles that will be offered in our 2018 auctions.
9. U.S. Winchester Model 1897 Slide Action Trench Shotgun with Bayonet
To be offered in our 2018 February Regional Firearms Auction
8. Exceptional Documented Factory Engraved Colt Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless Semi-Automatic Pistol with Pearl Grips and Presentation Case with Factory Letter
Sold for $18,400 in our December Premiere Firearms Auction
7. The “Mystery Rifle”
Sold for $2,875 in our December Premiere Firearms Auction. This rifle attracted some attention when we challenged followers to identify it. With only one definitive marking to go on, it was up to followers (and Ian from Forgotten Weapons) to derive the clues as to its identity.
Sold for $13,800 in our December Premiere Firearms Auction. It might look like a normal Colt M1911A1 pistol, but this pistol WAS PRESENT at one of the most iconic stories that came out of World War 2.
This weapons headline reads: “Historic World War II U.S. Colt Model 1911A1 Semi-Automatic Pistol Documented to Major General Joseph “Bud” Harper, Bastogne Veteran and Bearer of General McAuliffe’s Famous “Nuts!” Message to the Surrounding Germans with Letter”
“NUTS!” Few stories of the American military can be summarized with such brevity, and this pistol saw it happen. It was the property of Bastogne veteran Maj. Gen. Joseph “Bud” Harper who personally delivered the message to the Germans. http://ow.ly/k4wS30gKo54 #WW2 #wwii #Colt #1911 #M1911A1 #45acp #history #NUTS! #pistol #guns #auction #army #firearms #2A #pewpew #gunchannels #weaponsdaily
5. Desirable Late World War II Production German MP-44 Class III/NFA C&R Fully Automatic Sturmgewehr Rifle with Accessories and Ammunition
Sold for $40,250 in December. A World War II classic that needs no introduction.
4. “You’re Gonna Need A Bigger Boat.”
Sold for $8,050 in June. This W.W. Greener Martini action harpoon gun brought a handsome price at auction as well as a plethora of quotes from the classic “Jaws” where this model was used by the character Quint, which also bore a nickel finish.
3. First look at a Kimber Revolver
Kimber had their new revolvers on display at the 2017 Dallas Safari Club convention, and at that point not a lot of people had seen them. Needless to say they were eager to spread the word and see these wheelguns from the manufacturer best known for their 1911 pistols.
2. Cased Pair of Rare Smith & Wesson Model 3 American Transition Model Revolvers with Factory Letters
Sold for $40,250 in May.
1. Massive C. Stolzer “Double Deuce” Left Handed 2 Bore Double Rifle with Ammunition
Sold for $6,900 in December.
Notice that a lot of the most popular posts from 2017 happened toward the end of the year as the channel continues to grow and grow. If you want beautiful, rare, and historic guns in your social media feed, be sure to follow Rock Island Auction Company. We sell more than 25,000 guns annually, so we promise to keep them coming.