Rare package of two 50-round boxes of .44 rimfire cartridges for a Henry rifle. The cartridge boxes retain the original, pale green, shipping wrapping with the retailer's label: "VON LENGERKE & ANTOINE/9 NORTH WABASH AVENUE/CHICAGO"/ "VL&A/Best for Sport" on the wrapping tape. ".44 Henry Cart." is written in pencil on one side of the package. The package is sealed with Von Lengerke & Antoine marked package tape which has been cleanly opened. Each cartridge box is 4-7/8 inches long, 3 inches wide and 1-1/2 inches high. The manufacturer of the cartridges is US Metallic Cartridge. The cartridges are black powder Henry Flat Rim Fire. Von Lengerke & Antoine was one of the premier sporting goods stores in the United States. Established in 1891 by Oswald Von Lengerke and Charles Antoine, the firm grew in size and popularity until it was acquired as a subsidiary of Abercrombie & Fitch in 1928. The firm continued to use the "VL&A" name after it re-located to a five-story building on 9 North Wabash in Chicago in 1941. Von Lengerke & Antoine/Abercrombie & Fitch closed on November 20, 1977. The "9 North Wabash" label indicates that the cartridges were sold by VL&A after 1941. Original boxes of .44 Henry cartridges are rare in any condition; this is a unique opportunity to obtain two unopened boxes of these very collectible cartridges in the original retail package of one of the foremost sporting goods stores in the United States.
Near new. The VL&A package seal has been cleanly opened and the boxes have not been opened, and the package wrap has been covered in shrink wrap. Wear is limited to some fading on the green wrapping paper and a stress crack on the wrapping tape on one end of the package. The boxes themselves show some seperation of the outer paper and a small amount of the seal torn off, otherwise the labels and seals are intact. These cartridges would be a wonderful accessory to display with any Henry Lever Action rifle.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot