Effective Date: May 15, 2020
Rock Island Auction Company values you as our client and recognizes that privacy is important to you. We want you to be familiar with how we collect, use and disclose data.
This Privacy Statement describes the privacy practices of Rock Island Auction Company for data that we collect:
Collectively, we refer to the Websites and our Social Media Pages, as the “Online Services” and, together with offline channels described above, the “Services.” By using the Services, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Statement.
By visiting www.RockIslandAuction.com and any related websites you are accepting the practices described in this Privacy Notice.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE GATHER
Our goal in collecting visitor information online is to provide the best website experience possible, through delivering relevant information that meets user needs. We collect the following types of data:
If you provided a credit card and billing address using the Website, all of that data is sent securely to our credit card processing company, PayTrace. We do not store on our servers full credit card data except for the last 4 digits of the credit card number and the credit card’s expiration date. Storage of the aforementioned credit card data is to assist you in identifying the credit card you have previously provided to us for ease of payment.
If you have submitted a consignment request, we may also have information you provided us regarding possible items to be placed in an upcoming auction.
If you have purchased items at auction or ordered a catalog from us we will have information regarding the sales, purchase information, shipping, and if applicable, all required ATF data on the items purchased.
We may receive and store any information you enter on our website or give us in any other way, including in person or telephonically. You can choose not to provide certain information, but, by choosing to not provide such information, you might not be able to take advantage of certain features on the Websites.
INFORMATION WE SHARE WITH OTHERS
Any personal information you provide to us on our website when you register for emails, make a bid, or submit a request for information is maintained in private files on a secure web server. Rock Island Auction Company shares this information only with affiliated companies in order to help us provide better service to you. These affiliates are required to maintain your information in the strictest confidence.
We may use, or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following purposes:
· To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to ask a question about our services, we will use that personal information to respond to your inquiry.
· To provide, support, personalize, and develop our Websites, products, and services.
· To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us.
· To process your requests, purchases, transactions, and payments and prevent transactional fraud. For example, if you make a purchase and would like the purchase shipped, we will share your address with the shipping company.
· To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses.
· To personalize your experience on our Websites.
· To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Websites, products and services, databases and other technology assets, and business. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
· For testing, research, analysis, and product development, including to develop and improve our Websites, products, and services.
· To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
· To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about the Websites is among the assets transferred.
We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
As we continue to develop Rock Island Auction Company, we might sell, buy, or create new businesses. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing privacy notice. Also, in the unlikely event that Rock Island Auction Company is acquired, customer information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
We do not sell, rent, share, or otherwise disclose personally identifiable information from customers for commercial purposes in violation of the commitments set forth in this Privacy Notice.
REGISTERING FOR EMAIL UPDATES
Your email address will not be sold or shared with outside companies. By signing up for our weekly email newsletter, or our auction alerts, you will be notified of special events and may be offered products for sale, including our catalogs. Should you ever wish to remove your name from our email list, simply click the unsubscribe link.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
When using links found on our site to other websites not affiliated with Rock Island Auction Company, please be aware those sites have their own privacy policies, which may be different from our own. Also, Rock Island Auction Company is not responsible for services or products that are offered on these websites.
Cookies are used on this website to collect non-personally identifiable visitor information. This information allows us to customize your experience on our website and is used internally to track site usage and provide business insight regarding how users utilize content on the website. This allows us to improve the content and design of our website.
The Rock Island Auction Company websites uses or may use gifs, cookies and reverse IP technology to collect non-personal information regarding use of our sites including, but not limited to: pages read, content downloaded, product interest, demographics, interests, time spent, frequency of visits, the service provider, operating system and IP address. Cookies are a small numeric identifier known as a Unique Visitor Cookie which differentiates one user from another. Users are identified only by a randomly assigned number, not by personally identifiable information.
If you do not wish to have a cookie on your system, you can modify your browser settings to disable cookies. However, please be advised not using cookies may affect functionality of the Websites and such Websites may not work properly, such as bidding with RIA Live.
CHANGING EMAIL PREFERENCES
If you provide us your email address for email updates or when you make an online bid, your email address will be added to our guestbook and you will receive email updates and auction alerts via email.
To change your email address in our system or ask to be removed from our system, please email us your request to [email protected].
Keeping your information secure is important to us, which is why we use a secure server and Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
When using the online auction part of our website, your computer will automatically begin to communicate with our server in secure mode. SSL technology encrypts your personal information during the bidding and purchase process, to protect it from being read by others during online transmittal.
It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer. We highly recommend that you create a secure password with at least 8 characters, mixed with upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters. And that you change your password at least every 6 months.
From time to time, Rock Island Auction Company may update its Privacy Notice. Please be aware that whenever a change is made, the updated Privacy Notice will be posted on this site.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice, please contact us at the address below:
Rock Island Auction Company
7819 42nd Street West
Rock Island, Illinois 61201
NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
If you are a resident of the State of California, under the California Consumer Privacy Act you have the right to request that we disclose certain information about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
· The categories of personal information we collected about you.
· The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
· Our business or commercial purpose for collecting that personal information.
· The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
· The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
· If we disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, a list disclosing disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
· Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
· Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
· Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
· Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
· Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
· Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
· Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
· Comply with a legal obligation.
· Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
· Emailing us at: [email protected]
· Calling us Toll Free at: 1.800.238.8022
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative, which may include:
· Copy and/or scan of applicable photo identification;
· Confirmation of address, phone number, and last purchase date;
· If you have a RIAC account, you may contact us through your RIAC account homepage via the message section;
Additionally, the verifiable consumer request must describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it. We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.