This is another example of an extremely rare WWII German (StG) Sturmgewehr Assault rifle that has been manufactured with an early designed sheet metal sniper mount which has been fitted with a early matching "prototype" ZF4 Sniper scope. The basic assault rifle in itself is a very interesting and highly desirable weapon in that it is a late war Mauser manufactured (Mauser Werkes, Oberndorf) StG44, that was purposely built with a "sheet metal" sniper scope base. This base is actually a very simple saddle type base that was manufactured as a sheet metal stamping that fits over the rear area of the upper receiver. The lower sides of the mount were then spot welded in 4-5 places on each side of the base. The right side of this base had a machined steel dovetail type mount screwed and hard soldered to the base so that a standard K43 scope mount and scope could be attached. The scope mount is an original unnumbered mount, correctly stamped with a single "eagle/359" Waffenamt on the side with the correct phosphate finished locking lever marked "fest" and "lose". The scope is the real rarity in that it is a purpose built ZF4 sniper scope that has been calibrated specifically for the 7.92x33mm Kurz round. The scope has also been numbered specifically matching to this rifle indicating that it was probably Mauser's attempt to manufacture a true dedicated StG44 Sniper Rifle using a ZF4 scope. The left rear side of the scope is correctly marked with: "Gw ZF4/71576/ddx (Voigtlander & Sohns)" next to a blue triangle, then the left front is stamped with the additional information in large bold markings of: "P. Kurz Patr./Nr. 1552", clearly indicating that this scope was calibrated for use with only the 7.92x33mm Kurz ammunition and NOT the 7.92mm ammunition for the K98 rifle. The front left side of the receiver is stamped the standard markings of: "1552 aj/45" with the "StG44" marks on the upper rear section of the receiver. The underside of the forward portion of the receiver is marked "fxo". There is a small importers stamping on the upper front left side of the receiver. The stock is the correct laminated version. The rifle has an original phosphate finish on the major portions of the rifle and the lower section (trigger housing/group) has a blued/black painted type finish. These rifles were the first true production assault rifle ever manufactured in the world, as they used the intermediate length 7.92x33mm Kurz cartridge, which provided the German soldier with a longer effective range (200-600 meters) than the standard 9mm Luger cartridge used in the MP40s. It was also less weight than the standard 7.92 Mauser (8mm) cartridge allowing the soldier to carry a considerably larger basic load. The MP44/StGs are a marvel of wartime expedient manufacturing techniques using a combination of stamped sheet metal parts, welded and pinned together with rough forged and minimal machined parts or components. This fabulous rare assault rifle is complete with one original, "StG44" marked magazine and an original WWII leather sling.
Excellent with 95% of the original WWII combination phosphate and blue/black finish, with minor light thinning and wear on the sides of the receiver, edges and high spots overall. The mount also retains 98% of its phosphate finish overall. The stock is also excellent. The scope has a correct wartime blued finish with 95% of finish still remaining with clear original markings on the side of the scope. The scope function correctly however the optics are somewhat cloudy, but viewable. The rifle has all matching numbers to include the scope. A truly rare and probably one of a kind Mauser StG44 Sniper Rifle.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot