Rock Island Auction Company

Lot 1090: Factory Engraved Marlin Deluxe Model 1894 Rifle with Maple Stock

Auction Date: December 7, 2019

Fine Factory Panel Scene Engraved Marlin Deluxe Model 1894 Takedown Lever Action Rifle with Extremely Rare Maple Stock

Price Realized:
Estimated Price: $9,500 - $16,000

Fine Factory Panel Scene Engraved Marlin Deluxe Model 1894 Takedown Lever Action Rifle with Extremely Rare Maple Stock

Manufacturer: Marlin Firearms Co
Model: 1894
Type: Rifle
Gauge: 32-20
Barrel: 24 inch octagon
Finish: blue/casehardened
Grip:
Stock: maple
Item Views: 1487
Item Interest: Average
Serial Number:
Catalog Page: 48
Class: Curio & Relic Long Gun
Description:

Manufactured after 1906. The rifle features a Marlin factory No. 3 engraving consisting of scrollwork on a punch dot background, bordering and a game scene depicting a buck and doe in an oval panel on the receiver. The scrollwork extends to the forend cap and takedown collar. The breech end of the barrel has a simple scroll engraved pattern. When this rifle was manufactured, Alden George Ulrich was engraving for Marlin. He apprenticed under his father, Conrad F. Ulrich Jr., and worked for Marlin from 1905 until 1919 when he joined Winchester. Dovetail beaded blade front and elevation adjustable rear sights on a barrel with the two-line address/patent dates marking and caliber designation. The top of the receiver is factory tapped for sight mounting and correctly lacks the "MARLIN SAFETY" marking, which was omitted on later production rifles such as this one. The upper tang is marked "Marlin/MODEL '94." The forearm and pistol grip stock are bird's eye maple and feature stylized fleur-de-lis No. C checkering, which was reserved for extra selected pistol grip stocks. The buttstock is fitted with a Marlin hard rubber buttplate. Bird's eye maple stocks are a rarely seen special order Marlin feature.

Rating Definition:

Fine. 70% thinned original blue finish remains on the barrel and magazine. The remaining surfaces retain 30% original case colors. The engraving is crisp. The attractive maple forearm and stock are very fine with a short, barely visible, hairline stress crack at the upper tang, some minor handling marks and crisp checkering overall. Mechanically excellent.



Customer Product Questions

There are currently no customer product questions on this lot