Approximately 700 Spiller & Burr percussion revolvers were manufactured in Atlanta, Georgia, circa 1862-1864, and another roughly 700 were manufactured at the Macon Armory after the firm was purchased by the Confederacy in January of 1864. Production started with a very optimistic government contract of about 15,000 revolvers in 1862 but was stopped in November 1864 due to Sherman's March to the Sea. The revolver is patterned after the Whitney's Navy Model and has a distinctive solid brass frame. The brass frame and trigger guard were polished brass, and the remaining surfaces were blued. "C.S" is stamped on the lower left side of the frame at the front, and the loading lever/arbor pin is retained by a regular screw instead of a thumbscrew. It features a post front sight, frame groove rear sight, six-shot cylinder with safety notches between the nipples like the Remington revolvers, and smooth walnut grips. The barrel, loading lever (twice), cylinder, trigger guard (internally numbered), frame under the trigger guard, and the butt are all marked with the matching serial number.
Good with gray patina and moderate pitting on the iron, deep aged patina on most of the brass, some brighter areas at the back of the frame by the hammer, and moderate overall wear appropriate to a Confederate issued firearm, including numerous dings, scratches, and marks. The nipples appear to be older replacements. The repaired/refinished grips are fair and have chips and scratches, a spliced heel section on the left panel, and hairline crack on the right panel near the heel. Mechanically fine.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot