Manufactured between 1892 and 1912. According to page 65 of William Brophy's "L. C. Smith Shotguns" some 455 Grade 4 guns were made and of those only 321 were built with ejectors such as this one. It is also stated by the L. C. Smith Collector's Association that of the guns built, only some 30 were in 16 gauge. Blued, Damascus steel barrels with single steel bead sight on the matted solid rib which displays a fine inlaid band near the beech end and the "HUNTER ARMS CO. FULTON NY." address. The chambers measure at 2 3/4 inches with automatic ejectors and standard markings on the flats. The casehardened action and lock plates feature lightly carved fences and the rare early pattern engraving with bird dog scenes in ovals at the rear of each lock plate with floral scrollwork extending ahead of them. The underside of the receiver shows the same type of scroll and the trigger guard has a pair of quail in an oval scene. Double triggers, removable firing pins, and tang mounted three position safety selector switch. Nicely figured, multi-point checkered walnut splinter forearm with engraved fittings and rotary release latch and pistol grip stock hard rubber grip cap and serrated buttplate. Barrel and stock measurements (R/L): bores measured 9 inches from the breech .651/.652 inches; choke constriction .029/.030 inches; minimum wall thickness .025/.028 inches; 1 5/8 inch drop at comb; 2 5/8 inch drop at heel; 14 inch length of pull; weight 6 lbs 12 oz.
Very fine, showing an attractive thinning brown finish on the barrels which display a strong Damascus pattern. 40% muted case colors on the receiver and lock plates with the balance a silver/grey patina and some scattered oxidation. 75% original blue finish on the trigger guard with brown patina on the balance. The wood is fine with numerous dings and scratches and worn but well-defined checkering. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot