The Model 1841 is the first official percussion rifle adopted by the U.S. Military. Harpers Ferry Armory manufactured 25,296 Model 1841 rifles between 1846 and 1855. With most of these rifles receiving various alterations, this example is of the original Harpers Ferry pattern with no alterations or provisions for a bayonet, and still retains its original .54 caliber rifling for use with patched round balls. Fitted with brass blade front and fixed notch rear sights. It has standard markings and features including a browned barrel, casehardened lock, brass fittings, blued screw heads, and blued band retainers. Lock plate and barrel both dated "1854". "JLR" (John L. Reseler) cartouche on the left flat of the stock. Includes a leather sling marked with a circled "G.T. WOODBURY/U.S./ORD. DEPT./SUB INSPECTOR", wood tampion, tools and an extra nipple in the patch box. Provenance: The George Moller Collection
Fine, retaining 50% refinished brown finish on the barrel mixed with brown patina, and bright brass fittings. The casehardened lock has turned to a smooth gray/brown patina with attractive blue case colors visible on the hammer. Wood is very good with scattered light scratches and dents. Mechanically excellent. A solid representative example of a Harpers Ferry U.S. Model 1841 "Mississippi Rifle".
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot