The lock is signed "Wilson/VIGO LANE," and the patent breech has a sunken gold "H.W. MORTIMER/& CO/LONDON" maker's mark along with a gold band and gold vent liner. The barrel has a small blade front sight and an engraved burst pattern on top of the breech section. The semi-waterproof lock has a guttered pan, scroll engraving, and frizzen spring roller. The forend cap and wedge escutcheons are silver. The other furniture has scroll, martial, and hunting themed engraving. The stock has a smooth forend and checkered wrist. Includes a baleen ramrod. No. 1 Vigo Street/Lane near Regent Street was the home of "Wilson's Gun & Pistol Warehouse" and William Henry Wilson, "Goldsmith, Silver Plater & Dealer in Guns" (also listed as a pawnbroker) around 1806-1825. Joseph Lang worked for the Wilson warehouse and then established his own "Gun & Pistol Repository from Wilson's Warehouse, Vigo Lane" in the early 1820s and purchased the remaining stock from William H. Wilson in 1825 when the latter retired. The gun was most likely manufactured by Mortimer around 1810 and retailed by Wilson.
Fine with light brown finish and distinct Damascus patterns along the barrel, mild pitting concentrated at the breech, gray patina on the lock and iron furniture, bright original gold inlay, natural aged patina on the silver, and generally mild wear. The refinished stock is also fine and has crisp checkering, light dents and scratches, and some darkened areas. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot