In 1871, Springfield Armory converted approximately 1,108 Burnside-Spencer carbines by fitting the actions with rifle length barrels chambered for .50 rimfire ammunition with three-groove rifling and adding the Stabler cut-off device. The armory also refurbished the parts and added a nearly full length forearm with two barrel bands and a slotted cleaning rod. Spencers were easily among the most advanced weapons of the Civil War and remained in use during the late-19th century Indian Wars in the hands of both the U.S. Army and various Native Americans. The left side of the stock, just behind the saddle ring base, is marked with an oval script "ESA" (partially struck) inspection cartouche of Springfield Master Armorer Erskine S. Allin, and the other components have the standard Burnside and armory markings. Matching serial number "17933" marked on the left breech end of the arsenal replacement barrel and top rear of the frame. It has a blade/bayonet lug front and notch and folding ladder rear sights. Includes a US socket bayonet and period leather sling. Provenance: The George Moller Collection
Very fine as arsenal refurbished, retaining 75% plus arsenal blue finish on the barrel with some areas of light thinning, a few light scratches, and scattered light freckling. 80% vivid refinished case colors with a few areas of silvery patina. Wood is fine with defined edges, scattered scratches and dents, and a crack visible ahead of the buttplate tang. Mechanically excellent. Included bayonet is fine with sharp edges and some light pitting, sling is very good with some light cracking.