This rifle was built by Henry Lechler Jr. in Philadelphia c. 1831-1855 and is elaborately signed "H. Lechler Philada" on top of the breech section of the barrel which is also lightly floral engraved and has seven-groove rifling and blade and notch sights. The lock is marked "W. KETLAND" and had some English engraving. It is equipped with double set triggers. The furniture is brass with silver accents and features beautiful engraving mainly consisting of floral and scroll patterns. The eight wedge escutcheons, a star shaped accent on the bottom of the forend, the ovoid inlays on the trigger guard bow and patchbox lid, a dog on the left flat, a blank wrist escutcheon, and the star on the cheekpiece are all silver. In addition to the usual furniture, the rifle has ornate extensions on the trigger guard and entry pipe, an 8 1/4 inch long toe plate, and an accent plate on the left side of the butt. The patchbox is a particularly ornate design with pieced side plates and finial and extensive engraving. The birdseye maple stock has very fine figure throughout, a checkered wrist, and incised lines on the cheekpiece edge.
Very good as reconverted to flintlock configuration with erosion at the breech, mostly dark brown patina on the lock and barrel, some mild pitting, aged patina on the silver and brass furniture, mostly crisp engraving, general mild overall wear, absent entry pipe accent plate finial, and some points absent from the forend star. The refinished stock is also very good and has some loss by the lock, attractive birdseye patterns throughout, smoothed but visible checkering, some chips at the toe, and light scratches and dings. Mechanically fine.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot