Rogers & Spencer of Utica, New York manufactured an estimated 5,800 of these revolvers in 1865. The Rogers & Spencer Co., was awarded a contract by the Ordnance Department for 5,000 .44 caliber revolvers in November, 1864. When the Civil War ended in April, 1865, 1,500 revolvers had been delivered; the remaining 3,500 were delivered by September 1865. The revolvers were apparently never issued and were subsequently sold by military surplus dealer Francis Bannerman. Matching serial number "618" marked on the barrel, loading lever, cylinder, frame, and butt. Various components have "B" inspection marks. Boxed script "RPB" inspection cartouche stamped on the left grip panel.
Fine, retains 60% plus original blue finish with scattered areas of light flaking with smooth gray and brown patina on the balance, and sharp markings and edges in the metal overall. Grips are also fine with some chips along the bottom edges, a small crack on the bottom of the left panel, and a crisp cartouche. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot