This Sharps was originally manufactured in 1863-1865 as a percussion carbine for use in the Civil War and was one of 31,098 carbines returned by the U.S. Government to Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Co. in 1867, who received a contract for refurbishment and alteration of their rifles for use with metallic cartridges. This example features a sleeved barrel with three-groove rifling done at the time of alteration and standard markings and features. "F" and "E.A.W" inspection initials marked on the left flat of the breech end of the barrel. Script "DFC" (David F. Clark) ribbon inspection cartouche marked on the left center of the buttstock, typically found on these metallic cartridge conversion carbines.
Fine, retains 50% plus arsenal refurbished blue finish on the barrel with smooth brown patina on the balance, and 60% plus vivid arsenal refurbished case colors on the frame. Wood is also fine as re-oiled, with defined edges, some light scratches and handling marks, a few small filled in repairs, and a defined cartouche. Mechanically excellent.