Production of these revolvers started as early as 1876 when the Russians decided to move No. 3 Russian revolver production from S&W in America to Ludwig Loewe in Berlin. Revolvers produced in Germany didn’t need transatlantic shipment, so the supply of revolvers was less likely to be disrupted. In addition, S&W had also angered the Russians by selling arms to Turkey and Japan, enemies of Imperial Russia. The barrel rib has the Ludwig Loewe Cyrillic marking followed by the serial number, the double headed Russian eagle, and a late Russian acceptance proof. The left side of the frame has the Russian "1874" marking. The right grip panel is numbered to a different gun. The cylinder is numbered to the gun. For more information see www.russianrevolvers.com. Provenance: Joe Leiper Collection.
Very good, retaining 20% original blue finish on the barrel and frame and strong original traces of original blue finish on the cylinder flutes with the balance a smooth brown-gray patina mixed with some minor to moderate pitting. The very good replacement grips are slightly undersized and have some moderate dings. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot