Introduced in 1940, the M3A1 was an improved version of the M3 and was the main production variant by White Motor Company. The vehicle was primarily used by WWII cavalry and reconnaissance units, serving actively in the Philippines and North Africa. By mid-1942, however, most were regulated to supply and ambulance work, MP and rear echelon vehicles, and were replaced by the M8 Armored Cars beginning in 1943. During the post-war years M3A1s made it into many African and Asian post-Colonial republic arsenals and in the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. The French used the vehicle in its wars in Indochina and Algeria. The lasting serving M3A1s were found in 1990 with Dominican Republic regular forces. This example features a WWII U.S. Army paint scheme and two dummy M2 Browning type machine guns on skates running a full 360 degrees around the interior of the crew compartment. An interesting feature that was seen on early half-tracks is a roller on the front that was designed to aid in cross country travel in the event of getting the nose suck in a ditch. It is outfitted with a Hercules JXD 6 cylinder inline gas engine and comes with M1917A1 tripods, pioneer tools, seat cushions, dummy Thompson type submachine gun, jerry cans, camo net, and FT 528 radio set. Consignor research is included.
A high quality restoration and fully operational. The quality of the body work and paint is of a very high caliber and features the unusual original aluminum tread plate flooring.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot