This revolver was manufactured in 1927 and is chambered for both .44 Russian and .44 S&W Special cartridges. Estimates list only 506 Single Action Army revolvers manufactured for .44 S&W Special. Prior to the introduction of the .44 Special to the Colt line, only 154 Single Action Army revolvers were manufactured for the .44 Russian cartridge upon which the .44 Special was based. The accompanying factory letter lists this revolver with a 5 1/2 inch barrel in .44 S&W, blue finish and hard rubber stocks when sold to F.A. Williams Co. (address not listed) and shipped to Max G. Krause (address not listed) on August 29, 1927. On December 1, 1927 the revolver was returned to the factory for credit and subsequently sold to Zork Hardware Co. of El Paso, Texas and shipped to Phelps Dodge Mercantile Co. (address not listed) on July 18, 1928. The barrel has the one-line Hartford address on top and "RUSSIAN AND/S&W SPECIAL" followed by "44" on the left side. Matching serial numbers are on the frame, trigger guard and back strap. Rear faces of matching cylinder is stamped with the last two digits ("96") of the serial number.
Very fine, retaining 75% plus original blue finish and 80% original case colors with the balance a smooth gray patina. The correct style replacement grips are fine with a repaired chip at the bottom (right panel) and some wear along the top of checkering. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot