OD - VERY GOOD- all original parts; none to 30% original finish; original metal surfaces smooth with all edges sharp; clear lettering, numerals and design on metal; wood slightly scratched or bruised.
PRF - PROFESSIONALLY REFINISHED OR RESTORED
WW - WOOD IS WORSE FOR THE PERCENT FINISH RATING GIVEN
Manufactured by the New Haven Arms Co. circa 1857. The top barrel flat is marked "NEW HAVEN CONN./PATENT FEB. 14, 1854". These abbreviated marks which eliminated "VOLCANIC REPEATING ARMS CO." were introduced in April 1857 after Oliver Winchester took control of the Volcanic Repeating Arms Co., and reorganized it as the New Haven Arms Co. "2999" is stamped on the left side of the lower receiver tang and "304" is stamped on the right side lower tang and on the inside of the buttplate tang. The barrel is fitted with a blade front sight and the top is the receiver is fitted with a dovetailed elevation adjustable rear sight. The barrel and magazine tube were blue, the brass receiver and buttplate bright, and it is mounted with a smooth varnished straight grip walnut stock. These Volcanic repeating carbines and pistols featured self-cocking lever actions, integral magazines and were chambered for a cartridge with self-contained propellant and primer. Although the Volcanic pistols and carbines did not prove to be a commercial success, the development of reliable cartridges allowed the Volcanic lever action and integral magazine to serve as the basis for the Henry rifle and the Model 1866 Winchester. The investments of clothing manufacturer Oliver Winchester in the Volcanic Repeating Arms Co., led to the establishment of the New Haven Arms Co., and eventually the Winchester Repeating Arms Co.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot