OC - FINE- all original parts; over 30% original finish, sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; minor marks in wood.
NPRF - NON-PROFESSIONALLY REFINISHED/COLD BLUE, ETC.
WW - WOOD IS WORSE FOR THE PERCENT FINISH RATING GIVEN
Manufactured by the New Haven Arms Company circa November 1863 as part of an 800 rifle contact with the Ordnance Department found in the 3000-4000 serial number range that were issued to the 1st D.C. Cavalry and are the only Henry rifles marked with Ordnance inspection marks on the stock and barrel. During the Civil War the 1st D.C. Cavalry saw extensive action and was merged with the 1st Marine Cavalry. After the Civil War, some of the 1st D.C. Cavalry procured Henrys, such as this rifle, were issued to Company F of the 97th Indiana Infantry Volunteers. This Henry is documented by serial number to Co. F, 97th Indiana Infantry Volunteers in Wiley Sword's "The Historic Henry Rifle" on page 77. Organized in southwestern Indiana in 1862, the 97th saw combat in the South such as at the Battle of Griswoldville, the siege of Vicksburg, the Battle of Chattanooga, the Battle of Atlanta, and Sherman's March to the Sea. This rifle has the distinctive brass buttplate and receiver with 24 inch barrel and integral 15-shot magazine that identify standard production Henry rifles. The second style receiver introduced around serial number 3000 lacks the alternate rear sight dovetail found on Henry rifles manufactured in 1862 and 1863. The barrel has a half moon, nickel silver front sight blade. A three-leaf carbine rear sight is mounted in the original rear sight dovetail. A second dovetail fitted with an Model 1866 Winchester folding leaf rear sight (pitted and missing elevation bar) has been added 2 1/2-inches ahead of the original dovetail. This dovetail cuts through the New Haven Arms barrel legend. The magazine has the correct large diameter follower, and the receiver has the late beveled follower slot. The rifle has a straight grain American walnut stock. The brass buttplate has a hinged trapdoor. The left side of the stock and barrel are fitted with a sling swivel (replacement) and added screw fastened sling loop. The "C.G.C." initials of Ordnance Inspector Charles G. Chapman are stamped on the right barrel flat at the junction with the receiver. The "H" New Haven Arms inspection mark of B. Tyler Henry is stamped on the barrel below the "C.G.C." inspection mark and on the right side of the frame adjacent to the "C.G.C./H" marks on the barrel. The top barrel flat is roll stamped with the first style legend: "HENRY'S PATENT. OCT. 16. 1860./MANUFACT'D BY THE NEWHAVEN ARMS.CO. NEWHAVEN. CT." ahead of the rear sight. This style address was utilized through the mid-late 3000 serial number range and had "NEWHAVEN" in the second line stamped in block letters. The serial number is stamped on the top barrel flat behind the rear sight dovetail and on the left side of the lower tang.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot