OE - GOOD - some minor replacement parts; metal smoothly rusted or lightly pitted in places, cleaned; principal lettering, numerals and design on metal legible; lightly scratched, bruised or minor cracks repaired; in good working order.
PRF - PROFESSIONALLY REFINISHED OR RESTORED
Alfred, a son of Charles Lancaster, set himself up as a gunmaker in 1859 on South Audley Street, London, and operated from this address until 1886 when he moved to Green Street. After his death in 1890, his business was acquired by his father’s company which by then was owned by H.A.A. Thorn. The present gun incorporates Alfred’s patent for firing pins linked to the hammers to ensure the pins were retracted to allow the action to open (patent no. 1525 of June 3, 1865) and was manufactured c. 1870. With browned Damascus barrels with concave rib signed “A. LANCASTER’S PATENT. 27. SOUTH AUDLEY STREET. GROSVENOR SQUARE. LONDON”. Rounded action signed “A. LANCASTER’S PATENT” on each side, non-rebounding back action locks each signed “A. LANCASTER PATENT” within ribbons and with hammer of near hare’s ear form with pivoting linked firing pin. With classic English border and scroll engraving throughout. Figured 14 1/2" walnut stock with checkered grip and forearm. London black powder proof marks and Birmingham nitro reproof marks. Provenance: The Malcolm King Collection
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot