Share this item:
Manufactured in the 1890s by the firm of Ludwig Loewe (later DWM), the Model 1893 was the work of Hugo Borchardt, formerly the Superintendent of Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Company, and was among the first viable semi-automatic pistol designs to hit the commercial market. The Borchardt Pistol was also an important forerunner to the work of Georg Luger, who would refine the core mechanical principles of the Borchardt to make his own eponymous and world famous handgun. Fixed blade and notch sights, with "WAFFENFABRIK/LOEWE/BERLIN." marked on top of the chamber, "SYSTEM BORCHARDT. PATENT." on the right of the frame, and the patent marking "D.R.P./No. 75837" on the front toggle link. A series of "(crown)/letter" (B, U, and G) proofs are present on the barrel, barrel extension and toggle assembly, with the "172,28" bore diameter on the left side of the barrel and matching external serial numbers. Niter blue and straw colored small parts, with smooth borders on the finely checkered hardwood grip panels with the matching serial number restamped on the insides and restamped on the walnut base of the nickel finished magazine. Per the consignor, the pistol was restored by Gale Morgan.
Very fine, retains 99% professionally restored blue finish, and 99% applied niter blue finish on the small parts. The grips are also very fine as professionally refinished, with some light handling marks and a few discreet filled in repairs visible around the edges. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot