This is an example of a very rare J. P. Murray Confederate rifle. In 1862 Eldridge S. Greenwood and William C. Gray purchased facilities in Columbus, Georgia to manufacture firearms. Neither were gun makers and they employed John P. Murray, who was a skilled gun maker, as their master armorer. Total production of J.P. Murray rifles is not known but is estimated to be only a few hundred. At best, it is known that in 1864, 262 rifles and 62 carbines were delivered to Alabama on a contract, (those were marked "ALA 1864). The barrel is fitted with a brass blade front sight and fixed iron rear sight. The lock is marked "J.P. MURRAY / COLUMBUS GA" and the left rear of the barrel is marked "F.C.H.". There is a metal peg in the barrel tang screw hole, which was possibly used for a sight. All brass mountings, with a sling swivel mounted on the front of the trigger guard and front barrel band. Mounted with a full oil finished walnut stock. Complete with an original linen sling and iron ramrod with trumpet head.
Good. The barrel has a dark brown pitted patina. The hammer has a dark patina with some spotting and the lock has a gray and brown patina with a small amount of minor pitting toward the front. The brass has a natural dark original aged patina. The stock is fine with a couple of small minor gouges on the forearm and overall some scattered minor dents and dings, much less than one would expect for a Confederate firearm. The sling is good with heavy staining and tight stitching. The markings are readable. The lock is tight and functions well. A must have for the serious Civil War collection.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot