Developed by BSA and Captain H.C. Boys under the name "Stanchion" and renamed on acceptance in 1937, the Boys Rifle fired a proprietary 55 caliber armor piercing round. While it's original purpose, tank hunting, became impractical with advancements in armor, the Boys took up what is today called the "anti-material" role, smashing up lighter vehicles, insufficiently armored emplacements and other valuable targets. As the 55 caliber bore made the Boys a destructive device as defined by the National Firearms Act, many were converted to 50 BMG after World War II, including this one, which has received a custom made extra-long barrel. This particular example bears a "SA" cartouche on the left side of the frame, the acceptance proof of the Army of Finland. Though technically aligned with Nazi Germany and the Axis, Finland received material support from some Allied nations during the Winter War with the Soviet Union, including a number of Boys to supplement their native Lahti rifle. How exactly it came to America is unknown, but might make a good story in and of itself. The rifle is fitted with the later "rectangular" muzzle brake, with the left-offset factory sights deleted, and a Leupold & Stevens Ultra M1A 16x scope mounted to the left side of the receiver, to make room for the top loading Bren-style magazine. The barreled receiver is installed in a steel frame with integral shock absorber, folding "T" shaped monopod, hardwood cheek rest and rear pistol grip, and a canvas covered shoulder pad. Included with the rifle is a custom made transit case, seven extra magazines (all described by the consignor has adapted for 50 BMG), a metal magazine case and a box for the scope.
Fine as custom converted with 90% of the blue finish showing some heavy spotting on the receiver and paint loss on the stock rails. The shoulder pad shows mild stains and wear. Optics are crisp. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot