Designed by Hugo Borchardt and manufactured by Ludwig Loewe, the 1893 Borchardt Pistol was a very advanced piece of equipment for its time, using a short-recoiling barrel assembly and toggle-operated breech to safely and reliably cycle high-powered ammunition. Many of the core principles established by Borchardt were refined by Georg Luger to make his own namesake handgun, which became the sidearm of choice for a raft of military and police forces. Blade front and adjustable "V" notch rear sights, with "WAFFENFABRIK/LOEWE/BERLIN." on top of the chamber, "D.R.P./No. 75837" on the front toggle link, and "SYSTEM BORCHARDT PATENT" on the right side of the barrel extension. A set crown over "B", "U", and "G" proofs are present on several parts, along with the serial number "68", including on the wooden base of the nickel finished magazine and inside the checkered grip panels.
Fine as partially refinished (cold blue on the barrel), with 50% of the original blue finish on the balance, showing a brown patina on the grip straps, scattered spotting, mild handling marks, and bright edge wear. A vivid niter blue is present on the trigger, side plates, and small parts. Grips are very good with some light dings and scuffs. Mechanically fine. An important milestone in weapons development, the 1893 Borchardt is a critical piece in any advanced collection of Luger pistols or of European handguns.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot