This carbine was originally produced as a standard New Model 1863 Sharps percussion carbine during the war, and along with some 31,098 others and 1,086 rifles, was converted by Sharps to fire the new .50-70 Centerfire U.S. Government cartridge in the late 1860s. This example has a relined, 3 groove barrel with a German silver blade front sight and folding ladder rear sight. During the conversion the wood was replaced as needed. The left side of the wrist has a boxed "EF" cartouche just above the saddle ring bar, and the left side of the butt has a "DFC" banner cartouche. In the late 19th century, many of these carbines were subject to subsequent hard use in the Indian Wars across the American West.
Fine as arsenal refurbished. The barrel retains 40% of the blue finish mixed with a brown patina, oxidation, and a few bright spots. The action and remaining components retain strong case colors in protected areas such as behind the hammer and have a gray-brown patina on the balance with some spotting. The wood is very good with some dings and light scratches. The action is fine. Some of the markings are no longer visible such as the Sharps address on the barrel, but most, including the cartouches, are clear.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot