Around 8,200 of these "Grapevine Carbines" were manufactured during 1863 and 1864 by Edward Gwyn and Abner Campbell in Hamilton, Ohio. They were manufactured in the same factory as the Cosmopolitan carbines upon which they are based. This example has a blade front sight, notch and folding ladder rear sight, "GWYN & CAMPBELL/PATENT/1862/HAMILTON" on the lock, "UNION RIFLE" on the right below the nipple, and government inspection markings, including a boxed cartouche on the stock. Many western/midwestern mounted units were issued these carbines during the war.
Very fine. 60% plus of the original blue finish and case colors remain. The balance has gray and brown patina. The tang and breechblock retain 80% original, bright niter blue. The stock is fine and has some small dings and minor chips. The cartouche is crisply stamped but has a dent over the last letter. It is mechanically excellent and has crisp markings.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot