Manufactured circa 1750. Swamped browned twist turn-off octagonal to round sighted barrel featuring engraved flower heads and a ribbon at the breech. The drum-shaped action houses the brass rotating breechblock and incorporates the hinged magazine access opposite the lock, the whole engraved with scrollwork and flower heads. Slender slightly curved tapering loading lever with button finial, back action bridleless lock signed "WILSON" on a ribbon and engraved with flowering scrollwork. Priming pan with hinged magazine cover and sprung catch, walnut butt, brass buttplate, and brass escutcheon in the form of a martial trophy. There are London proofmarks. The maker is probably Robert Wilson who was made free of the Gunmakers’ Company in 1742, elected Assistant in 1759 and was Master in 1764 and again in 1771. The design of this form of repeating magazine gun is credited to an Italian gunmaker called Michele Lorenzoni of Firenze who is recorded circa 1684-1737.
Fine. The barrel retains 95% rebrowned finish. There are some marks on the brass breechblock. The action and lock show some wear to the engraving, light grey patina throughout, and some discoloration and scattered light surface corrosion marking. The stock has some storage and handling marks. There is some age related marks and wear on the brass buttplate. Mechanically fine. A scarce example of a flintlock repeating gun on the famous Lorenzoni system.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot