This rare musket was manufactured in circa 1680 in Suhl, Germany, for the Imperial Austrian Army. The two stage barrel has fixed blade and notch sights, a rooster with an "S" (Suhl) on the upper right flat at the breech, a mark with an arrow on top ("ES"?), a faint mark on the upper left flat (should be "SUL"), and an additional unclear maker's stamps above the Suhl rooster. The lock has no markings on the outside, but the inside has a "CK" maker's mark. The beech full stock is struck with an asterisks behind the barrel tang. It has iron furniture throughout, including a buttplate secured by three nails. The dual mechanism is a clever solution to the potentially unreliable wheel lock system failing in battle as it would allow the musketeer to quickly switch to the older matchlock mechanism. These muskets are rarely encountered outside of museum collections.
Fine overall with some minor restoration (cleaning and some epoxy in concealed areas), light gray patina, minor pitting, some tool mark on the barrel, a gap at the front of the lock inlet, minor scrapes and dings, a few chips, and minor insect damage. Appears mechanically fine, but the wheel lock mechanism has not tested.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot