These 24-pounder flank or "siege and garrison" howitzers were mainly used to defend the flanks of forts and were run by teams of three men. Fifty 24-pounder iron howitzers, divided into a pair of twenty-five piece lots, were purchased by the U.S. Ordnance Department from Cyrus Alger & Co. on August 28, 1863, (see "Purchases of cannon, ordnance, projectiles, and small-arms since April 13, 1861, by the Ordnance Department..." page 710), and the company sold over $2,600,000 to the government in April 20, 1861 - March 25, 1867. The consignor indicated this was one of the first ten flank howitzers delivered by Alger. Several hundred of these howitzers were made in the 1840s-1860s and stationed at various forts around the country, and many remain on display at the forts and historic sites. The muzzle is marked "No 306" (registry number), "C.A. Co." (Cyrus Alger & Co.), "1486" (weight), "1863" (year of production), and faint inspection letters (very likely "TJR" for Thomas Jackson Rodman). "US" is marked on top near the trunnions. Includes two trunnion straps.
Good overall with oxidation, pitting, and moderate wear throughout including some red on the cascabel.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot