The consignor indicated this howitzer won "Best Gun" at the Baltimore show in 2016. It was cast at the Tredegar Iron Works in the Confederate capitol of Richmond, Virginia, by J.R. Anderson & Co. The foundry first opened in 1837 and remained active into the mid-20th century. West Point graduate Joseph Anderson became the supervisor of the foundry and later purchased the company in 1854. The foundry was the largest iron producer in the whole South by the outbreak of the war and manufactured nearly 1,100 cannons for the Confederate war effort in a variety of patterns in addition to other iron goods. They were the only foundry in the Confederate States capable of building heavy ordnance such as the massive Brooke rifles, and, due to the protected location in Richmond, they remained active until April of 1865. This 12-pounder iron field howitzer tube was cast in 1862 and is one of around 30 manufactured in 1861-1862 and one of just around 14 extant. This pattern was halted after some of the howitzers burst during use. As with most Civil War artillery, relatively few are in private hands. It has "1507" stamped on the muzzle below the cone front sight, "1862" on the left trunnion, “JRA & Co/TF” (J.R. Anderson & Co. and Tredegar Foundry) on the right trunnion, and “850” weight ahead of the vent at breech. It is mounted on a professionally built carriage.
Fine with attractive dark brown patina, moderate pitting, generally distinct markings, and mild wear on the carriage mainly from storage. This is a very attractive and scarce Confederate field howitzer.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot