Approximately 1,000 of these two shot rifles were manufactured by J.P. Lindsay of New York from 1863-1864. Regiments that are known to have tested or been issued them are the 5th, 16th, and 23rd Michigan, as well as the 9th New Hampshire. The 9th tested "the new double-shooting rifles" on 8 November 1864 and found that they "...showed off their demerits to good advantage, flashed, fizzled, and failed famously; enough to secure their condemnation and a speedy exchange to the Springfield rifle." However, it appears the 16th Michigan carried the rifles for at least a short time during the Petersburg campaign. This example shows standard markings and features including two cartouches on the left flat.
Very fine, with mostly "armory" bright metal surfaces, and some scattered light pitting. Lightly disfigured buttplate screw. Stock is fine with a crack visible in wrist, some light handling marks and dents, a chip in the right side ahead of the flat, a small chip below the flat, a few small chips behind the upper tang, and crisp cartouches. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot