Manufactured in 1906, this is one of only 6,210 Colt "Military Model of 1905" pistols manufactured over a period of six years. These pistols are a very important evolutionary step in the development of Colt automatic pistols and the Model 1911 as they were the first production Colt automatic chambered for the legendary .45 ACP cartridge. This specific pistol is inscribed to Corporal Louis Neilson, Troop 2, Squadron A Cavalry. Squadron A was also known as "The New York Hussars" and were a combination of a militia unit, social club, and ceremonial guard and is still around as a social club. Neilson was a part of Squadron A from 1904 to 1911 and is listed in "The World Almanac" from 1909 as playing on the Squadron A polo team. It is likely that this pistol was presented to him by his comrades upon leaving the squadron. Included with the pistol is a copy of the book "Squadron A: A History of Its First Fifty Years 1889-1939. The left side of the slide is marked with the two-line two-block patent dates and address, with the circled Rampant Colt behind the serrations. The right side of the slide is marked "AUTOMATIC COLT/CALIBRE 45 RIMLESS SMOKELESS". The left side of the frame is marked with the serial number and the left of the trigger guard has a "VP" proof and "1". The back strap is period inscribed "CORPORAL LOUIS NEILSON/FROM HIS SQUAD/TROOP 2/SQUADRON A CAVALRY/1911". It has rounded blade front and rounded top notch rear sights and a checkered spur hammer. It is fitted with a pair of diamond pattern checkered grips and an unmarked full blue magazine.
Very fine, retains 80% of the original high polish blue finish with the balance mostly a smooth grey patina and numerous scattered patches of moderate pitting. The grips are excellent with minimal handling marks and crisp checkering. Mechanically excellent. The book is fine with some light wear and staining.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot