The Palmer carbine holds the distinction of being the first metallic cartridge bolt action firearm ever adopted by the U.S. Ordnance Department and among the first bolt action firearms accepted by any military. The bolt does not contain a firing pin and is simply used to seat the cartridge and seal the breech. It fires with a traditional side lock. Approximately 1,001 of these carbines were ordered by the U.S. government on 20 June 1864, none were delivered until June of the following year however, meaning they arrived too late to see action during the Civil War. It has the standard markings and features. "BFS" inspector mark on the left of the breech, and a circled script "MM" (Miles Moulton) cartouche on the left flat of the stock.
Excellent, retaining 85% original plum blue finish with some light muzzle wear and 95% original case colors on the lockplate, 75% on the trigger guard, with some slight darkening on the balance, and the bolt handle turned to a gray patina. The wood is also excellent with a few light dings and scratches, and a clear cartouche. Mechanically excellent. This is an outstanding example of a scarce Civil War carbine, significant in the development of military arms as well as firearms in general, and would be a welcomed addition to any collection.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot