Only a total of 1,000 Model 1817 pistols are believed to have been manufactured, essentially to use up parts on hand including components originally meant for 1803 rifles and the abandoned "Model 1807" pistols begun but not finished around 1807-1808 due to .69 caliber being deemed excessive for pistols. They were built under Robert E. Lee, then a colonel and the superintendent of the armory. Interestingly, all 1,000 were never put to use and were still part of the armory inventory in 1850. The lock is the "type II" version with a rounded tail, round frizzen spring finial, and reinforced double neck cock and is marked (faint) with the eagle and shield motif over "US" at center, "SPRING/FIELD/1818" on the tail. The front of the barrel band has a brass blade front sight. The barrel is marked "P/eagle head/V" and "1818" at the breech. "EA" is marked on the trigger plate, and "AR" inside the trigger guard bow. The left stock flat is marked with a faint oval cartouche ahead of a faint script cartouche. "B" is marked on the lower left of the grip near the pommel. "GDM" (George D. Moller) collection initials marked behind the lower tang. Provenance: The George Moller Collection
Fair with extensive scattered moderate pitting and dark oxidation. Stock is good with scattered scratches, a few small chips ahead of the lock, and darkening at the edges. Mechanically fine.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot