Joseph Henry of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, manufactured a limited number of flintlock military pistols under government contracts from 1807-1808. Henry was contracted to manufacture a total of 650 pairs in that period; however, the total number of pistols actually completed is not known, and many government contractors failed to complete their orders. A "Gun Report" article indicated he delivered 1,468 pistols and purchased 724 of them back. The barrel has a brass blade front sight and is faintly marked with "J. HENRY PHILA" and remnants of an "eagle head/P" proof. The lock has a pronounced teat at the tail, a rounded flash pan with high fence, reinforced ring-neck hammer and is faintly marked "US" at the center and "J. HENRY/PHILA" at the tail. Provenance: The George Moller Collection
Fair, retains 80% artificial refinished brown finish on the barrel and lock with scattered light to moderate pitting underneath the finish. Stock is good with some light scratches, a glued hairline crack ahead of the lock, repaired sections on the right front, behind the lock, and on the lower left above the pommel cap. Mechanically fair, hammer hangs up at half cock.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot