The Palmer carbine holds the distinction of being the first metallic cartridge bolt action firearm ever adopted by the U.S. Ordnance Department and among the first bolt action firearms accepted by any military. The bolt does not contain a firing pin and is simply used to seat the cartridge and seal the breech. It fires with a traditional side lock. Approximately 1,001 of these carbines were ordered by the U.S. government on 20 June 1864, none were delivered until June of the following year however, meaning they arrived too late to see action during the Civil War. It has the standard markings and features. Small "MM" (Miles Moulton) inspector initials marked on the left of the breech, left stock flat and top of rear of the stock. A circled script "MM" cartouche on the left stock flat. "GDM" (George D. Moller) collection initials marked at the toe of the stock. Includes wood tampion. Provenance: The George Moller Collection
Excellent, retaining 85% original plum blue finish and 95% bright attractive original case colors on the lock plate, and 75% on the trigger guard. The wood is also excellent with defined edges, a few light dings and scratches, two pin holes from a plaque on the right rear, and a sharp cartouche. Mechanically excellent. This is an outstanding example of a scarce Civil War carbine, significant in the development of military arms as well as firearms in general, and would be a welcomed addition to any collection.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot