This Colt Single Action Cavalry Model revolver was manufactured in 1878 and inspected by Ordnance Sub-Inspector Henry Nettleton. This revolver was one of 800 pistols refurbished by Colt in 1895 and issued to the New York State Militia. These revolvers retained their original 7 1/2 inch barrels and matching serial numbers. Most of the revolvers refurbished in 1895 had the hammers refinished a fiery niter blue like this one. The factory letter lists this revolver as one of 200 delivered to the inspector at the Colt factory on September 13, 1878, and also indicates it was later refurbished at the factory (not converted to an "Artillery Model") and redelivered to the government inspector at Colt on October 11, 1895. The revolver is listed by serial number as issued to the New York Militia on page 60 and shown in a photograph on page 137 of "Colt Cavalry & Artillery Revolvers, A Continuing Study" by Kopec and Fenn. A letter from John Kopec is also included. He notes that it was previously owned by Conrad Sundeen and "this revolver shows up as being one of the first 800 Cavalry revolvers which were refurbished for the U.S. Government in 1895 and later issued to the New York Militia." The revolver has the early "black powder" frame, a blade front sight, the one-line barrel address, a bulls-eye ejector rod button, "P" and "HN" on the bottom of the barrel ahead of the cylinder pin, "HN" inspection marks repeated on the bottom of the frame and trigger guard as well as the top of the back strap behind the hammer and side of the cylinder, the three-line patent marking followed by "U S" (without periods which is correct for Nettleton), and all matching serial numbers. It comes in a modern display case with a 69th New York badge and a coordinating display label along with a golden H.W. Sakschek seal inside the lid, a cartridge block with nine cartridges, an L-shaped screwdriver, key on a Portsmouth Port Rifle & Revolver Meeting medallion, and the Kopec letter. The 69th New York Infantry were called up for active service during the Spanish-American War and were also sent to the Mexican border during the Punitive Expedition of 1916-1917 against Pancho Villa. Provenance: The Buckstix Collection
Very good as factory refurbished. The revolver mostly displays a mottled dark gray patina but retains strong patches of factory refurbished blue finish and case colors in some of the protected areas and especially vibrant niter blue on the back of the hammer and sides of the trigger. The grip is also very good and has minor dings and scratches, mild edge wear, and some hammering marks on the butt. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot