Using Maynard primer locks and percussion bolsters supplied by Remington Arms Co., Frankford Arsenal converted Model 1816s flintlock muskets to percussion ignition as well as rifled the bores from 1856 to 1859. This example is dated "1858" on the lock tang and has the standard U.S./Remington markings on the lock. The buttplate tang is marked "US" and "10." The State of New Jersey "NJ" marking appears on the left side of the barrel at the breech. New Jersey received approximately 2,000 of these conversions. The letter "B" is stamped on top of the barrel at the breech. The rear sight has a folding leaf graduated from 600 to 800 yards on the left branch and a base graduated from 1 to 4 on the left side. The left stock flat is stamped with the letter "V" along with an oval inspection stamp. "GDM" (George D. Moller) collection initials marked at the toe of the stock. Includes a "US" marked socket bayonet, iron ramrod with trumpet head and leather sling. This exact rifle-musket is pictured on pages 43 and 45 and the model is discussed on pages 42-52 in George D. Moller's "American Military Shoulder Arms, Vol. III." Provenance: The George Moller Collection
Fine, having a silver-gray appearance mixed with some areas light pitting. The wood is also fine with an absent chip along the ramrod channel and some minor handling marks. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot