This Sharps was originally manufactured in 1863-1865 as a percussion carbine for use in the Civil War, and was one of 31,098 carbines returned by the U.S. Government to Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Co. in 1867, who received a contract for refurbishment and alteration of their rifles for use with metallic cartridges. This example retains its original .52 caliber six-groove rifling, now intended for chambering of the .50-70 Government cartridge. Standard markings and features. "F" and "EAW" inspector marks on the left side of the barrel, and matching serial number "C,27347" marked underneath the barrel. A "DFC" (David F. Clark) ribbon cartouche marked on the left center of the buttstock, typically found on these rebuilt alteration carbines.
Very fine, retaining 70% plus arsenal refurbished blue finish on the barrel with scattered mild spotting and a patch of mild pitting starting 4 inches back from the muzzle end. 85% case colors with some scattered patches of light surface corrosion. Wood is also very fine with some light scratches and a crisp cartouche. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot