Manufactured as part of a contract held by Henry Deringer of pocket pistol fame. He manufactured 13,000 of these rifles in multiple variations between 1817 and the early 1840s. These arms are among the first widely issued rifled firearms used by any military and saw use into the Civil War era. This example has a lock plate marked "US/H. DERINGER/PHILADA". During its time of use the barrel and forearm were shortened and a brass blade front sight added. The barrel is marked "H. DERINGER/PHILADA" on behind the fixed notched rear sight and a defaced "V" proof along with clear "P/US" on the upper left flat at the breech. The buttstock has a patch box containing a worm and "U" shaped screwdriver. With a leather sling. Provenance: The George Moller Collection
Good, with the metal surfaces having a mottled brown patina with darker patina in and around the protected area along with pitting. The stock is also good with minimal surface chipping, punch dot marking on the near the cheek piece and some minor dings and scratches. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot