The Model 1841 is the first official percussion rifle adopted by the U.S. Military. Harpers Ferry Armory manufactured 25,296 Model 1841 rifles between 1846 and 1855, with most of these rifles receiving various alterations. Harpers Ferry Type III alteration Model 1841 rifles are described on pages 147-148 of George D. Moller's book "American Military Shoulder Arms, Volume III", with this exact rifle pictured on page 147 next to the caption, "The Harpers Ferry Type III alteration of the Model 1841 rifle was equipped with the Model 1855 long-range rear sight. This rear sight was attached to the barrel by a mortise and spanner screw." Approximately 4,500 Model 1841 rifles are believed to have been altered to the Type III configuration. The leaf is graduated from "6" to "9" on its upper surface. "1851" dated lock and barrel tang. "WCK" (William C. Kelly) inspection initials marked on the right breech flat. "GDM" (George D. Moller) collection initials marked at the toe of the stock. Includes brass handled saber bayonet, period leather sling, tools and an extra nipple in the patch box. Provenance: The George Moller Collection
Very good, retaining most of the refinished rust blue finish on the barrel over some light pitting. Lock turned to a gray with some light pitting and crisp markings. Brass retains an attractive golden aged patina. Stock is very fine as re-oiled with defined edges, some light scratches and handling marks, an absent sliver on the left of the buttplate tang, and crisp inspection marking on the left flat. Mechanically excellent. Included bayonet is very good with some scattered light pitting and attractive golden aged patina on the brass handle, sling is good with some light cracking and a slightly torn section.