This Sharps was originally manufactured in 1863-1865 as a percussion carbine for use in the Civil War, and was one of 31,098 carbines returned by the U.S. Government to Sharps Rifle Manufacturing Co. in 1867, who received a contract for refurbishment and alteration of their rifles for use with metallic cartridges. This example features a sleeved barrel with three-groove rifling done at the time of alteration, and standard markings and features. "C" and "G.C" (George Curtis) inspection initials marked on the left side of the breech end of the barrel, and "64" marked underneath the barrel. Script "EF" (Edward Flather) boxed Civil War inspection cartouche marked on the left of the wrist above the saddle bar. Script "DFC" (David F. Clark) ribbon inspection cartouche marked on the left center of the buttstock, typically found on these rebuilt alteration carbines. "GDM" (George D. Moller) collection initials marked at the toe of the stock. Provenance: The George Moller Collection
Fine, retaining 40% arsenal refurbished blue finish on the barrel with scattered mild spotting. 50% case colors strongest in protected areas with scattered mild spotting. Wood is also fine with some light scratches, dents, chips, an absent section to the left of the receiver tang, and crisp cartouches. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot