Manufactured in 1897 with standard two-line barrel address and caliber marking at the breech. The upper tang has the model designation and the lower tang is marked with the two-line patent dates and serial number. It is fitted with a Lyman beaded blade front sight and folding ladder/notch rear sight, as well as a special order half magazine. The left side of the lower tang is marked "140R" and the inlet of the replacement stock is marked "236" and may have been replaced when the rifle was returned to the factory in 1905. Sling swivel studs are mounted on the forearm cap and stock. Mounted with a smooth forearm and straight grip stock with a special order, checkered, hard rubber, shotgun buttplate. The included Buffalo Bill Historical Center letter lists the rifle in .45-70 caliber with a 24 inch round barrel, plain trigger, half magazine, shotgun butt with rubber buttplate, and screw eyes when received at the warehouse 1 October, shipped the same day, and subsequently repaired and returned 29 September 1905.
Fine, retains 40% of the original blue finish on the barrel and 50% of the original case colors with the balance having thinned to a smooth grey or silvery-grey patina and a few scattered very light patches of surface pitting. The replacement wood is fine having been lightly sanded and re-oiled with some minor dings and scratches scattered throughout, and a series of patches of flaking on the forearm. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot