This is an early production U.S. M1 Springfield "Gas Trap" style Garand rifle that was restored/assembled back to that configuration using a combination of both original and reproduction parts. Developed beginning in 1936, the Gas Trap Garand was a critical step in the acceptance of a semi-automatic battle rifle for American use and an important phase in the refinement of John Garand's famous rifle. A strong front runner in automatic arms development during the 1930s and 1940s, the gas trap system had the virtue of not needing to tap directly into the barrel, instead using a muzzle device (the "trap") to catch surplus gas to cycle the action. While this system saw some success, and was adopted for field use by the Germans, the virtues of the gas port system led to its adoption, not just for the Garand; while the gas trap lives as a historical curiosity, porting has become the de-facto standard for gas-operated firearms clear to the current day. Most of the "Gas Trap" Garands were subjected to arsenal overhaul or wore out during use; they are difficult to find in any condition. The refinished replacement barrel is marked only with two "P" proof stamps on the right side of the chamber. It has an early production gas cylinder that is marked on the top of the rear barrel ring "D 28289", and the right side of the reproduction front sight is marked "B 8882" with grooves on top of the sight protectors. The operating rod is marked "D 35382-0" on the right side and has the later relief cut, the recoil spring is an original style square edge "Keystone" spring, and it has a correct style square comp spring with the early long type operating rod guide with serrations on the side, without rivets. The bolt is marked "D 28287-1/J 6". The trigger housing is numbered "D 28290" without pad, small hole, hammer number "C 46008-1" (on the side) with hole, safety "C-46015-3", blue hammer spring housing, trigger guard "C 46025" with rings. The rear sight assembly is marked "B-8872" on the sight cover, and the windage knob is an early checkered pattern (unnumbered) marked "LEFT" and "LEFT" with flared arrows. The elevation knob is also the early pattern that is marked "UP" and "DOWN " and "BATTLE RANGE" with the pointer triangle, closed arrows, and is checkered around the edge (also unnumbered). The middle band is grooved and notched at the bottom (C-46000), the rear handguard clip is grooved, and the follower arm is marked "B8869" with 2 bevels. The follower and clip latch are both unnumbered, and the later "seventh round stoppage" modification has been performed on the interior of the arsenal refinished receiver. The stock is marked with a "SA/SFC" cartouche on the left side and a circled "P" proof in the pistol grip, and fitted with a green canvas sling. Two cylindrical holes (one large, one small) are drilled into the butt, with no corresponding door on the checkered buttplate, which is hand-marked "5" on the interior. Also included with the lot is a 1913 dated Springfield bayonet in a USN Mark I sheath, 20 3/8" OAL, 15 7/8" blade, with ribbed hardwood grips. Provenance: The George Moller Collection
Fine as reconverted back to "gas trap" configuration, with 80% plus arsenal refurbished parkerized finish, showing some light high point and cycling wear overall. The gas cylinder is a correct plum anodized color, with some light scratches and rubbing. The stock is good, with faint cartouche, some splitting of the wood in both sections of the handguard, mended chipping and cracking around the rear sling mount, oil staining at the buttplate, and scattered dents and scuffs. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot