The Gallager carbine was designed by Dr. Mahlon J. Gallager, a Southerner by birth, and manufactured under license by Richardson & Overman in Philadelphia where Gallager had a dental practice. Reportedly 17,728 Gallager carbines were manufactured in three different variations. This example is one of 5,000 late production chambered for the .56-52 Spencer rimfire cartridge. These carbines are identifiable by a firing pin that replaced the percussion nipple and the addition of a cartridge extractor. It has a pinched blade front sight, notch and folding leaf rear sight, blued barrel and casehardened frame, lock plate marked "GALLAGER'S PATENT/JULY 17Th 1860" and "MANUFACTd BY/RICHARDSON & OVERMAN/PHILADa" above the serial number, smooth walnut stock with blued patch box, saddle ring bar, and ring. The top of the barrel behind the rear sight is marked with "J.M.D." inspection initials. The left side of the stock just behind the sling bar is marked with a boxed script "WHB" (William H. Barber or William H. Bulkley) inspection cartouche. "GDM" (George D. Moller) collection initials marked at the toe of the stock. Provenance: The George Moller Collection
Fine with the blued barrel having turned to a smooth brown patina with some areas of light surface pitting, 40% plus original case colors concentrated on the sides of the frame and upper tang with scattered mild freckling and brown patina on the balance. Stock is fine with scattered scratches and dents, and a crisp cartouche. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot