Approximately 285 of these "minie rifles" were manufactured from July to August of 1861 by J. Henry & Son (James and Granville Henry), with most sold to Phillip S. Justice who likely sold some, or all, of them to the U.S. Ordnance Department, and the rest were sold to Bethlehem Home Guard, who is believed to be a Pennsylvania militia company. J. Henry & Son "minie rifles" are described on pages 358-359 of George D. Moller's book "American Military Shoulder Arms Volume III" with this exact rifle pictured on both pages. Page 358 states, "The James Henry records describe as 'minie rifles' the two band rifles that have muzzle diameters reduced to accept modified Model 1816-style angular socket bayonets." Features a blade front and long range Enfield-style tangent leaf rear sight graduated "1" to "4" on the right side of the base and "6" to "8" on the bottom of the ladder with a "10" marked at the top. "J. HENRY/& SON" marked on both the lock and on the left of the breech. Brass fittings throughout including two barrel bands and a Sharps type patch box. "GDM" (George D. Moller) collection initials marked on the toe of the stock. Includes a US socket bayonet marked "H8" on the socket, period leather sling, and extra nipple in the patch box. Provenance: The George Moller Collection
Very good, retains traces of original brown finish with moderate flash pitting, some scattered light pitting, and crisp lock markings. Brass retains an attractive golden aged patina. Stock is also very good with scattered scratches and dents, some chips around the lock and behind the upper tang, and slightly undersized at the toe. Mechanically excellent. Included bayonet is fine with sharp edges and some very light pitting, sling is very good with some light age related wear and cracking.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot