The Remington Percussion Cane Gun was patented by John F. Thomas, Remington's master mechanic, on 9 February 1858. These canes were one of the first civilian firearms produced by Remington, and they were the only major American manufacturer to produce one. It is estimated that between 1858 and 1866 only 500 of the percussion cane guns were manufactured, with many of them later being converted to .32 Rimfire. This example remains in its original percussion configuration making it even more scarce. Along with that, this particular example has the "dog's head" handle, which is fashioned out of a darker brown or black toned gutta percha, likely due to sun fading. Though the "dog's head" handle is not necessarily the most rare handle variation seen on these canes, it is often cited as the most desirable. The shaft is sleeved in brown gutta percha. There is a small German silver band where the handle meets the shaft and an iron ferrule at the tip/muzzle which is faintly marked " J.F. Thomas Patent Feb 9. 1858 Remington And Sons Ilion N.Y." as well as the serial number, "145". It measures 35 1/2 inches overall. Provenance: The Milan J. Turk Collection
Fine, there are a few minor cracks on the upper portion of the shaft (some stabilized), a minor chip absent where the sight notch pops up, a minor crack in the chamber of the firing mechanism, some light pitting on the ferrule, and otherwise some scattered light handling marks. Mechanically fine apart from the crack in the chamber.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot