Manufactured in 1909, this is one of only 6,210 Colt "Military Model of 1905" pistols manufactured over a period of six years. These pistols were the first production Colt automatic chambered for the legendary .45 ACP cartridge. The left side of the slide is marked with the two-line, two-block patent dates and address, with the circled Rampant Colt behind the serrations. The left side of the slide is marked "AUTOMATIC COLT/CALIBRE 45 RIMLESS SMOKELESS". The left side of the frame is marked with the serial number, and the left of the trigger guard has a "VP" proof and "6". It has rounded blade front and rounded top notch rear sights and the later spur-type checkered hammer. It is fitted with a pair of diamond pattern checkered grips and an unmarked full blue magazine. The included factory letter confirms the current configuration and lists shipment to John B. Varick Company in Manchester, New Hampshire on 5 May 1909.
Very good, retains 40% plus of the original blue finish, 25% original case colors, and 30% of the original niter blue with the balance having thinned to a smooth grey patina and some minor tool marks around the screw on the left rear of the frame. The grips are also very good with some scattered light handling marks and crisp checkering. Mechanically excellent.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot