The Leech & Rigdon Revolver is a close copy of the Colt Navy Model revolver, except that it has a round barrel with an octagonal top barrel housing similar to the Colt Dragoon. These are among the most highly sought after Confederate firearms. This is one of approximately 1,500 manufactured by Thomas Leech and Charles Rigdon at the Greensboro, Georgia factory circa 1863-1864. The company was dissolved in 1864 and was replaced by Rigdon, Ansley & Co., which continued to manufacture a small amount of an updated variation of these revolvers in Augusta, Georgia. This revolver has the pin and ball loading lever latch and six-shot cylinder with six cylinder stops whereas the Rigdon & Ansley revolvers have twelve cylinder stops like the Manhattan revolvers. The barrel has a brass pin front sight. "LEECH & RIGDON CSA" (partial) marked on the top barrel flat. The barrel wedge is fitted with a retaining spring. The hammer has coarse knurling and a groove for a rear sight. Brass trigger guard and back strap. The revolver has a one-piece oil-finished walnut grip. The face of the recoil shield lacks a cap channel. The matching serial number is marked on the loading lever, side of the cylinder, bottom of the frame, bottom of the trigger guard, handwritten in the back strap mortise of the grip, and bottom of the back strap. The initials "ECG" are carved in the bottom of the back strap. Information on these revolvers can be found in Albaugh, Benet and Simmons' book "Confederate Handguns" on pages 39-60. Includes a letter of authenticity from Maryland Line Trader who sold the revolver in 1988. Also includes a 2004 dated letter of examination of the revolver from Frederick R. Edmunds, former Curator of the Confederate States Armory & Museum. This revolver has been included in numerous displays of products by the firm of Leech & Rigdon at Civil War Shows and Traveler's Rest, the home of Judge John B. Overton which served as headquarters of Confederate General John B. Hood's Army of Tennessee during the Battle of Nashville, December 1864. Provenance: The William A. Gary Collection, The Morris L. Racker Collection, The John Graham Collection, The Dave Mark Collection, The Bill Beard Collection, The Jerry Fertitta Collection, A Gentleman
Good, exhibiting signs of genuine period Confederate use. Refinished blue finish visible on the repaired loading lever with dark brown patina on the balance of the revolver and some scattered light to moderate pitting overall. Brass retains an attractive golden aged patina with carved initials as mentioned above. Grip is also good with period wear, scattered dings and dents, and a crack at the top of the left panel. Mechanically fine.
There are currently no customer product questions on this lot